Friday 23 May 2008

Lend Me Your Ears


I'm thinking about my speech-as 'best woman' this saturday. I love wedding speeches -I think that they are fascinating and revealing -one of my favourite parts of the day after the ceremony and vows and I really don't understand when people say they find them boring. Sure, some are good and others not so. We see nerves, dodgy material, bad timing but still I find them riveting and moving. The act of giving a speech is a generous gift and it deserves respect however adept and confident the giver is.

Perhaps it's because I'm a coach and it's my job to really listen to people-not just what they say but how they say it and crucially what they don't say. I observe body language, posture, gesture, speech patterns, language and tone. Anything that you give time to in this way, looking beyond the surface becomes thoroughly absorbing-layers of information revealing what and who is within.

Anyway, I would never buy a book about speech-making because I really don't want to know that much about it-sometimes too much information is a dangerous thing-it's like having an overload of advice-it fills your head so you don't know which way to turn and kills your ability to just do what comes naturally.

So, I appreciated this snappy article about wedding speech-making written by barrister, after dinner speaker and comedy writer, Clive Coleman. It told me all I wanted to know and gave me the confidence to go ahead and just do what feels right to me. For those who do want more help-there are endless books available as well as helpful professionals like Paul Chronnell also known as the Speech Maker, who can help you craft your speech and coach you on the presenting front as well.

I have been inspired by Marianne Williamson who writes in her book, A Return to Love, about walking out on stage and speaking to hundreds of people. Instead of taking the stance that she needs to impress people and make them feel that she is special, she instead just talks to friends, casually with enthusiasm and so there is no pressure and nothing else to do but relax and enjoy it.

I find that liberating and that's what i'll be doing on Saturday-not to hundreds of people-just about sixty of them. I'll talk to a room full of friends, casually with enthusiasm about my very great friend Amanda and what she means to me. There's no need to impress and nothing for me to do but relax.

Public speaking's never gonna be the same again!

No comments: