Friday 23 November 2007

Shake it up , baby!

I cannot contain my excitement and I am about to repeat myself in saying how great Don't Tell the Bride is. I just love this show! I could cry, actually I did a little watching episode 2 . Here, we have a cash strapped couple, living with their respective parents and getting married after the lovely Mayeta(she)proposed to JP (he) a year ago.

They are unconventional though she has streak of tradition running through her. He is intelligent, quirky, independent minded and put together a fabulously authentic wedding that reflected their individuality and expressed their essence as a couple. What a star! During the four weeks that they were apart, when he planned the entire wedding, they both took time to reflect on their reasons for getting married, their intentions, their feelings and their commitment to each other. They learned things about themselves which they brought to their wedding day.

The reason this show works is because the normal way to plan a wedding is turned around and shaken up and in the process, it wakes up the people involved. They are not just mindlessly walking the same path that other have trodden before them. A different approach changes the landscape, gives it a fresh perspective and asks different questions. JP saw it as an opportunity to mature and as proof of his strong and genuine feelings for Mayeta.

The success of this show depends on the couple but it is my feeling that any truly conventional couple would just not go for the whole set up. It requires some risk taking, which lets face it goes against the grain of most weddings i.e.predictable safe,commercial,and no surprises.

We are so long overdue for a change in how we look at Getting Married and planning a wedding-it feels tired,tedious and shallow when it can be so vibrant, inspired and life changing. My contribution to change is to present Getting Married from the Inside Out wherever and whenever I can so that more people step off that well trodden path and mark out their own route to their wedding day. Innovative, captivating shows like Don't Tell the Bride just fuel my desire and hearten me like you wouldn't believe.

No comments: