Sunday 9 March 2008

Wedding Magazine Blues

I came across this great blog post that I completely, absolutely agree with. It takes some time to see that lifestyle magazines, in excess are dangerous. They have a brainwashing effect and create insecurity and in the case of wedding mags-mild hysteria. Use them sparingly, with a discerning eye and a sense of humour.

The answers are not outside of you-they are all within. The more of these magazines that you read the further it will take you away from yourself. Like everything, it's about balance -a little bit of inspiration does no harm but to follow these glossies as if they were gospel can lead you into psychological wasteland.

I used to buy magazines regularly but now I look at them on the shelves and know that though they look enticing at first glance, beyond the striking cover there is little to enlighten or satisfy me. After years of buying them I know they are repetitive and kind of elitist and like the weddings of today-style over substance-they leave you wanting so much more.

I truly believe this;'At the centre of your being, you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.' Lao Tzu wrote that not me but I do have it on my website as a kind of leading thought. A belief like this is comforting, calming and great relief and, in practical terms, once you are over the consumer magazines and turn to yourself for some answers, you'll save an awful lot of money!

No comments: