Saturday 8 March 2008

The Wedding Oscars

It's already all too competitive, expensive and commercial and then I read this!

WEDDING AWARDS! No, no, no!

Please, please let this not catch on. Can you imagine? And the award for best favours idea goes to Sharon Midgeley-Warner for her hand blown crystal studded conkers. Best vows? Most imaginative decoration of a barn? OK I jest but it's that inane and inappropriate that it will happen.

I already cringe at the indulgence and back slapping of the never ending TV/film/music/design/internet awards that have bred furiously over the last few years. I understand that we all like recognition but it should be given for the highest achievements and excellence and nothing less.

Weddings can be highly creative, imaginative and full of artistry in one form or another but when they are already struggling to resonate with meaning something like this just pulls them even further in the opposite direction.

The wedding awards get a great big raspberry from me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I've gotten a pretty darn special award for my wedding: nearly fifteen years later, people still tell me it was one of the nicest they've ever been to. That's more than enough reward for me.

Heck, still having the same great husband would be enough! But it does feel nice to hear that people enjoyed it.

Formal awards, though? Just. Plain. Tacky.

lesley said...

I agree with you.When you are told that your wedding remains memorable in other peoples minds-it's a great feeling-especially years after the event.Then you know that the spirit of your wedding which came from your heart, really touched people. You can't ask for more than that.